Saturday, October 6, 2007

Instructions for sewing the soaker.

Place all of the soaker pieces on the fold of the fabric, making sure the stretch of the fabric is going from left to right (hip to hip). You also want the leg cuffs and waistband to have the stretch going from left to right (along the longest side). For fleece, the stretch should go in the opposite direction of the bold lines on the pattern. If you are using knit wool, the knit (Vs in the knit) should go in the direction of the bold lines.

On the new pattern for fleece soakers, the arrowed lines should go in the direction of the stretch of the fleece.

Here's a good video tutorial by Sew Cheeky that also includes adding the skirtie.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Cut out all four soaker pieces. If you desire a slimmer/wider waistband or leg cuffs, make the necessary adjustments to the rectangles you cut for those pieces.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Putting right sides together (when there is a right side to the fabric), sew the sides of the soaker body together. Putting right sides together, sew short ends of the waistband and the leg cuffs to form bands. If the material you are using has a tendency to unravel, use a zig zag stitch on the raw edges.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Fold down the waistband and leg cuffs with wrong sides together so that the raw edges of the seam are hidden. Turn the soaker body right side out.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Put the soaker body inside the waistband with all raw edges together. Sew the waistband to the soaker body. I try to center the seam in the waistband in the back of the soaker. Use a zig zag stitch on the raw edges as needed. If you don't like to stretch your waistband so much, you can also turn your soaker inside out and put the waistband on the inside with raw edges together to sew it. I will be adding pictures of this procedure.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket




Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Place the leg cuffs on the soaker body in the same manner as the waistband with raw edges together. Sew the leg cuffs to the soaker body. Use a zig zag stitch on the raw edges as needed.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Admire your handywork!



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket




Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Inside of the soaker



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photobucket

30 comments:

Tara said...

Thanks so much for this soaker pattern. I found it through a google search. :) I just finished my first attempt (a little wonky looking) and am looking forward to making more!

Katrina said...

You're welcome! I'm glad you like it.

moosie said...

I just used this tute also, and used the pattern pieces from the yahoo group, I knit my piece with my knitting machine then cut it up, thanks for the tute, I plan to make lots more!!

you can see it here on my blog http://moosieknits.blogspot.com/2008/01/little-bits-of-knitting.html

mary beth said...

Thanks so much. Someone emailed the pattern to me but I couldn't figure out for the life of me how I was going to sew on the bands/cuffs. lol. I really needed that visual!!

marilyn

Kristy said...

I wanted to say a HUGE thank you!!! What a super kind mama you are!!! I recently used a similar pattern that I bought (wish I had found yours sooner!!!) to make just over 50 fleece covers that are now in an orphanage in Guatemala. I am excited to now use yours, and appreciate the freedom to offer some for sale also. (saw your diaperswappers thread) Anyway, many blessings to you!
And enjoy your babymoon, what a special time! :)

MaryJayne said...

Just wondering if any kind of fleece will work or does it Have to be Maden Mills or WindPro?

Kristy said...

Mary Jane,
I've used fleeces from my local store like "Alpine" and "Blizzard" fleece. I've also heard of using "No-Pill". I think the tighter the thread count the better though. You can stretch it to test it....if you can see lots of light through it, probably not the best. Also had someone suggest to me drying them with a dryer sheet to add water resistance to them....Windpro often has been treated with DWR which is a water repellent. You just might have to repeat the dryer sheet routine as it washes out. Hope that helps! Maybe Katrina will have some other input....Blessings!

brisnicki said...

Hi Katrina

Thanks for sharing your pattern and instructions. I found it so easy to sew (I am a complete sewing-newbie) and the end result looks so professional!

Just wondering - are these supposed to be 'multi-use' soakers? I mean, are they supposed to be usable a few times before needing to wash?

I found that the polar fleece I used was a little absorbent (that is, felt a little damp after first use) so I didn't feel right about reusing and put straight in the bucket... maybe I need a thicker fleece?

Teodora said...

Hiya, can I use this pattern for felted wool? Is it a newborn size? My dd is 6 months old...

Anonymous said...

Love how great you have decribed how to do the soaker! thank you!

JenV said...

This is great! Thank you so much for putting these patterns online for our use!

I'm going to make some fleece longies (I live in MN) and some fleece soakers tonight. I am so stoked! :) :) :)

Weintz8 said...

Thank you so much for posting this!! I lovr that you ask people yo donate instead of buying the pattern - what an awesome idea. Any chance you could make a T-shirt pattern that is this idiot proof also? I need to make some cute shirts to go with all my soakers and longies. Thanks Again!!

Kerrie Green said...

So this is a pattern for a diaper cover? And does the wool keep the moisture in? Or does it keep the baby's clothes/mommy's lap dry?
How does it work? Thanks!

Katrina said...

Kerrie, wool helps keep mommy's lap dry. Here's a good place to learn more about using wool for diapering. http://www.thediaperhyena.com/woolscool.htm

Rebecca said...

THanks! I found your pattern last night and got cutting! Then today I had questions and found your blog. Lucky me! 'wet zone' extra layer is a great idea! thanks again!

Unknown said...

thankyou! ummm....but is there a printable pattern of your pieces? i dont think i can copy from that widdle pic....not cleaver enough yet....*blush*
ta again!!
jen

Amy Marquez said...

I just made my first newborn soaker and it came out soooo cute! Thanks for the tutorial!

Kate said...

Thank you, thank you thank you for this pattern! I made three of these in various sizes from one sweater last summer and another one today. LOVE them.

Pictures available on my blog if you're interested:
http://cleaninup.wordpress.com/2011/03/14/homemade-wool-soaker-from-old-sweaters/

afwife said...

Ok, I feel like a bit of an idiot, but i'm new to the site and.... is there a way for me to print out the pattern used in these photos? f I can get a pattern or directions and where to get the pattern, it would be much appreciated. What I'm planning to do though it make these summer weight covers by using an inexpensive single layer of store bought fleece but sewing an inside layer of cheap water repellant but breathable ripstop nylon to the wetzone. i think that'll work at least for daytime diapering. I'm diapering my daughter and my niece and both live in very hot, dry climates. Any comments on my plan? do you think it'll work?

Katrina said...

Sure! Just click on the Free Soaker Pattern link on the right (or use this URL http://katrinassqs.blogspot.com/2007/10/free-soaker-pattern.html) and click on the words for the patterns you want. It should pull up a .PDF file containing the patterns.

Krista said...

Hoping you can help me...I'm wanting to venture into creating my own wool soakers, but can't find the link to download your pattern...and the http://katrinassqs.blogspot.com/2007/10/free-soaker-pattern.htm says the page doesn't exist...

Is it still out there in cyberspace somewhere? Please? Thanks in advance!

Mama Lane said...

What type of fleece do I need to use to make a cover??

Katrina said...

Krista, your link is missing an "l" at the end. It should be http://katrinassqs.blogspot.com/2007/10/free-soaker-pattern.html.

Katrina said...

Cameron, Christina, Sailor, Casen and "Neener"

I like anti-pill fleece that I get at Joann's, but any stretchy fleece will work. The less stretch the fleece has, the harder it will be to get a good fit on a pull up style soaker.

Krista said...

Thanks Katrina! Can't believe it was that simple of a thing!

Kristin said...

Thank you so much for offering this as a free pattern.

I'm having some trouble with the pattern and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. When I go to add the bands to the waist and legs, I get a big 'bubble' of extra fabric. How can I fix this?

Katrina said...

Kristin, make sure you cut the waist and legs so that they stretch length wise. I pull mine to match them up with the body layers. They generally gather nicely for me that way.

Cassandra said...

Thanks Katrina for this pattern! I just tried it out with fleece and it worked great! I did make a mistake when I cut the waist band because it didnt strech so I had to do a bit of finagling to make it work. I knew I cut it wrong and I should have just cut a new one but I am hard headed like that and didn't. Anyhow this is a great pattern! Can you tell me what the weight ranges are for the different sizes?
Thanks alot,
Cassandra

Unknown said...

What should the printer margin settings be on when printing this pattern? Thanks

Ash said...

Print with no scaling (100%). Do not have it "fit to page". Check the inch square on the pattern with a ruler before putting together.

Cheers!